Made in Alberta Awards – Rules and Regulations
- Content Sponsor. The Made in Alberta Awards are sponsored by Avenue magazine, a division of RedPoint Media Group Inc. (the “Contest Sponsor”).
- Competition Period. The competition runs from at or about 3:00 p.m. M.S.T. November 1, 2021, to 11:59 p.m. M.S.T. March 31, 2022 (the “Contest Closing Date”). All entries must be submitted electronically. No entries will be accepted before or after the Competition Period. Entries that are incomplete, lost, stolen, late, delayed, misdirected, illegible, damaged, altered, irregular, destroyed, have been submitted through illicit means, or do not conform to or satisfy any conditions of these Official Regulations shall be disqualified.
- General. By entering a nomination or confirming the nomination, entrants accept and agree to abide by the Official Regulations and the decisions of the judging organization with respect to all aspects of the Contest, which are final, binding and conclusive on all matters relative to this Contest. In the event it is determined that an entrant has entered in a fashion not sanctioned by these Official Regulations, the entrant will be disqualified and all of the entries submitted by the entrant will be disqualified. Entries are subject to verification by the contest judging organization.All entries become the permanent property of the Contest Sponsor. Entrants may be contacted occasionally by the Contest Sponsor via email, unless the entrant notifies the Contest Sponsor otherwise, for the purpose of informing the entrant of further promotional opportunities. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and is void where prohibited.
- The awards celebrate the quality of products that are made in the province of Alberta by Alberta-based makers and businesses, that fit into one of the ten (10) categories listed below and that are available for retail purchase in the province of Alberta through to the end of October 2022. Entrants (“Entrant” “you” or “your”) will be judged and considered eligible subject to these Rules and Regulations (“rules”).
- Prizes. One overall grand prize winner, one category winner per category and up to five runners-up per category will be selected and featured in Avenue in print October 2022, in the 2022 Made in Alberta magazine and online at MadeinAlbertaAwards.ca. Winners will be notified no later than July 2022. One overall grand prize winner will receive a cash prize of $5,000 payable in October 2022.
- Eligibility. To be eligible to participate in the Made in Alberta Awards, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the start of the Competition Period (November 1, 2021), you must be a maker resident in the province of Alberta or a business based in the province of Alberta. The product you are entering must be manufactured in the province of Alberta, must be available for retail purchase in the province of Alberta, must be able to be shipped to any location in Alberta, and must fit into one of the following ten (10) categories: 1) Furnishings and Home Decor; 2) Fashion and Accessories; 3) Beauty; 4) Food – Savoury (packaged food items); 5)Food – Sweet (packaged food items); 6) Drink – Alcoholic (packaged alcoholic drinks); 7) Drink – non-Alcoholic (packaged non-alcoholic drinks); 8) Games and Leisure; 9) Craft; 10) Unique Product. Products that were selected as a winner or runner up in any previous year in the Made in Alberta Awards are not eligible.
- Employees and their immediate families (as well as persons with whom they are domiciled) of the Contest Sponsor, its agents and representatives, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and dealers, as well as suppliers of materials or services related to this Contest, including the members of the contest judging organization as determined by the Contest Sponsor, are not eligible to enter the Competition.
- How to Enter. To enter, visit www.madeinalbertaawards.ca (the “site”) during the Competition Period, submit the entry administrative fee of $100, and complete all required fields of the Competition entry form (“Entry Form”) including uploading three (3) images of the product you are entering and agreeing to comply with the Rules of the Competition. Only completed entries are eligible.
- Product Samples. Entrants in the food, drink and beauty categories MUST supply three samples of their product for the judging process and will be contacted during the judging process to arrange for delivery at their cost. These samples will not be returned. Entrants in other categories may be required to submit samples of their products for the judging process. The cost and logistics of shipping or delivery of all samples is the responsibility of the entrant. Failure to supply samples may result in disqualification.
- Photos. Photos may be submitted in the following file formats: JPG, GIF. By submitting the photos you confirm that you have the right to provide these photos to the Made in Alberta Awards and the Award Sponsors and further that you extend to the Sponsors the right to publish the photos in any medium. The Photos must not infringe or violate any copyright or other right. By Submitting an Entry to the Competition, you agree that the Sponsor may use your Photos and any portion of your Entry on the Site, in Avenue magazine or any of its associated digital properties at any time. The Sponsor does not guarantee the use of any photo or information other than for the Competition judging. By entering you agree to allow the Sponsor to use your entry details or to post them on the Site and the Made in Alberta Instagram accounts in connection with the Competition or with any coverage of your entry or product.
- Product Eligibility. To be eligible for entry the product must be made in Alberta and be available for retail sale until the end of October 2022. Products that were featured as winners or runners up in the competition in a previous year are not eligible for entry. Art work is not eligible. Books are not eligible for entry. Services are not eligible for entry. Stores are not eligible for entry. Each Product You enter into the Made in Alberta Awards can be submitted for consideration in only one category. At its sole discretion the Sponsor may move an entry into a category it deems to be more suitable for the Product. The Product must be Your sole creative work and must not incorporate ideas or the work of any other person or material that would require the consent of a third party. The Product must not infringe or violate any trademark, copyright, publicity right, privacy or any other right of any other person or entity under any applicable law.
- Photo Restrictions. Neither the Photos nor the Product Entered in the Competition may contain, as determined by the Sponsor at their sole discretion, any content that: is sexually suggestive or explicit; is violent or derogatory of any racial, gender, sexual, religious, professional, or age group; is profane or pornographic, contains nudity; promotes illegal drugs or substances; is obscene; promotes, professes or endorses hate of any group; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about any group, company or product, including the Sponsor and its products; contains trademarks or trade dress owned by any entity other than yourself; contains copyrighted material (including photographs and works of art) owned by any entity other than yourself; advertises or promotes any brand or product other than your own Product; contains any personal identification, such as personal names, street or email addresses or phone numbers, other than your own; violates or encourages the violation of any law, rule or regulation; promotes any political party, agenda or message; communicates messages or intents inconsistent with the goodwill and positive image that the Sponsor wishes to be associated with; Any Entry that includes any Photo that is deemed to contain any of the above will be considered void.
- Odds of Winning. The Odds of Winning the Competition or being selected as a Category Winner or Runner Up depend on the number of entries received.
- Judging. The Sponsor will convene a judging panel or panels made up of industry professionals and the editors of Avenue magazine. A first round of judging will be completed by the editorial staff to create a short list of entries that will be sent to the category judges. The category judges will select the winner and runners up for their category on the basis of craftsmanship, design, quality, innovation, originality and appeal of the entries including the appeal and professionalism of the packaging and marketing if applicable. The judges may at their discretion opt to not award any winners in a category. A third round of judging will be completed by the editorial staff of Avenue magazine. Each Category Winner will continue to the third round of judging to select the Overall Grand Prize Winner. The Overall Winner will be selected based on the suitability of the story of the maker and the product to be selected as the Made in Alberta Awards Overall Winner. The decisions of the Judges are final and non-appealable.
- Readers’ Choice. At the discretion of the Sponsors, a Readers’ Choice Winner may be selected through an online vote.
- Winner verification and notification. The potential Category Runners-Up, Winners and Overall Winner will be notified via email at the e-mail address listed in their entry or by telephone. If the Sponsor is unable to contact any potential Category Runners-Up, Winners or the Overall Winner within a reasonable amount of time, they may be disqualified. If a potential Category Runners-Up, Winner or Overall Winner is disqualified, another winner will be selected by the Editor. The potential Category Runners-Up, Winners and Overall Winner must provide evidence of eligibility as requested by the Sponsor, including proof of age and residence upon notification as a potential winner. Upon notification and acceptance each potential winner must sign an affidavit of eligibility and release of Sponsor from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands and causes of action for personal injury, damage, theft, loss or any other harm suffered in connection with this Competition, directly or indirectly from acceptance, possession or misuse of any Prize or participation in the Competition.
- Ownership and Other Rights. By entering this Competition, you agree that Sponsor will solely and exclusively own all right, title and interest in and to the Competition Materials (as defined below), including without limitation all intellectual property rights to the Competition Materials. “Competition Materials” include, to the extent applicable (1) any information and material, including the Photos submitted by you in connection with the Competition; and (2) subject to your rights in your personal data, the Entry Form and any other forms, documentation or releases required to be submitted by you for the Competition, whether submitted to Sponsor prior to or after the judging process. For purpose of clarity regarding the ownership of the Competition Materials, this Section is in regards to the submission of the Competition Materials about the Product and does not grant any ownership rights to Sponsor to the Product itself. You shall and hereby do irrevocably assign, convey, and transfer to Sponsor all right, title, and interest throughout the universe in perpetuity in and to such Competition Materials, without any obligation to pay additional consideration for the use or exploitation thereof. You will not retain any right, title or interest whatsoever in the Competition Materials, including, without limitation, a “license back,” rights of attribution; claims based on “moral rights” and similar theories; and liens, encumbrances and the like. You hereby irrevocably waive any claims based on the foregoing. You shall not assert, nor assist or authorize any third party in asserting, any claim inconsistent with this paragraph or the following paragraph. Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, modify, composite, scan, duplicate, or alter the Photos, in whole or in part, for any purpose which it deems necessary or desirable, without the need for any further remuneration and/or permission. You hereby irrevocably waive any and all claims based on moral rights, droit moral or similar theories in any Photo. You will take all further acts necessary to effectuate the intent of these Rules, including, without limitation, executing and delivering to Sponsor, all such agreements, contracts and any other documents to confirm Sponsor’s ownership of the Competition Materials. To the extent that You own (presently or in the future) any intellectual property rights that were not created in connection with the Competition Materials, but that may be necessary for Sponsor’s exercise of the rights assigned to it above (“Related Rights”), You agree to and do hereby grant to Sponsor, or will cause to be granted to Sponsor, at your cost and expense, a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable right and license to use, copy, manufacture, distribute, translate, perform, modify, display, transmit, create derivative works of, make, have made, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise exploit any such Related Rights to the extent necessary to enable Sponsor to exercise all rights assigned to Sponsor under these Rules. Notwithstanding such ownership by Sponsor of all such rights, You expressly agree and acknowledge that Sponsor Entities shall not be responsible in any manner for any use of the Photos or the Product by any third parties and shall be under no obligation to protect or enforce any such rights in the Photos or Product.
- Prize Terms. All costs and expenses not specifically listed above, including, without limitation, travel and taxes incurred in connection with redemption of the Prize are each winner’s responsibility. The Sponsor shall have no obligation or responsibility to any winner who is unable to accept the Prize.
- Disqualification. If you fail to comply with any of the Rules, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify you and your entry. In addition, the Sponsor may disqualify you if you are suspected of tampering with the entry process, acting in a disruptive manner or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, or if you have provided inaccurate or misleading information in your Entry. Entry fees will not be refunded for entries that are disqualified for any reason.
- Media Opportunities. By entering this Competition, you acknowledge that you are ready, able and willing to partake in media opportunities (including but not limited to interviews, photos, sound bites, video footage, and the sharing of the information in your entry form with third parties participating in such media opportunities) as required by Sponsor in connection with the Competition. The Overall Winner will be required to complete other forms and releases as set forth below.
- General Terms. Sponsor is not responsible for anything outside of its reasonable control. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Competition or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in this Competition. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or servers on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, or any incomplete, lost, late, delayed, misdirected or garbled Entries or failure to receive Entries, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials or software or attempts to participate in or download materials or software related to this Competition. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of Competition, administration of the Competition, or in the announcement of the Prize and the Overall Grand Prize Winner, First Place Winners and Runners-Up.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Indemnification. (a) By entering, you agree to defend (at Sponsor’s option), hold harmless and indemnify Sponsor and Sponsor Entities from and against any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), with respect to or arising out of either (i) your participation in the Competition, including, without limitation, the breach or violation of your representations and warranties concerning your Product and Photos; and/or (ii) the receipt, redemption or use of the Prize awarded in the Competition. You agree to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Sponsor or Sponsor Entities, further covenant not to sue Sponsor or Sponsor Entities and hereby acknowledge that none of Sponsor or any Sponsor Entity has made or is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Prize, (b) Indemnification Procedure. You shall have the right to: (i) employ attorneys to institute or defend any claim, which attorneys must be reasonably acceptable to Sponsor, (ii) take any other reasonably appropriate steps to protect all rights and interests at issue, or (iii) settle, compromise in good faith or in any other manner dispose of any claim and satisfy any judgment that may be rendered, except that no compromise, settlement or disposition of any such claim may be affected or committed by you without the consent of Sponsor, which consent may not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. Sponsor shall have the right to participate in the defense of any claim. If a conflict of interest arises or exists between you and Sponsor, Sponsor shall have the right to retain separate counsel to represent its interests at the sole cost and expense of you.
Made in Alberta Awards
The Made in Alberta Awards celebrate great Alberta products, businesses and ingenuity. By highlighting Alberta-made products through a variety of channels, including digital, in print and in person, the Made in Alberta Awards program supports and promotes local businesses and encourages people to shop local.
Proudly made in Alberta.